Wednesday, June 9, 2010

D Day/ Paul Guaguin/ Auction

D Day/ Paul Guaguin/ Auction
Monday 06-07-2010 10:20am PT
Yesterday was the anniversary of D Day in WWII. 160,000 allied soldiers landed on a 50 mile stretch of beach in France. They came to liberate Europe. They weren't pros, they were school teachers, factory workers, farmers, everyday guys- they weren't Rambos- they were regular guys like my father. They came together to do one of history's dirty, ugly, unforgiving jobs- that absolutely had to be done.



Imagine what they were thinking when the front dropped on the Landing Craft and they looked out onto the beach and all the German defenses. The crack of rifle fire, the booming of artillery, the water, the wind, the sand, the fear, the Adrenalin, and there's only one way to go- forward!

Let's hear it for the greatest generation!



My father used to say, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." I miss him.

Unfortunately, we're losing these veterans at an alarming rate. Pretty soon there will be no one left who was part of it- someone you could actually touch and say, "you really did this, didn't you?"

My father passed away several years ago (before 911) but I always think of him on that day. My dad wasn't part of the D Day invasion, he crossed the English Channel several months later on a troop transport ship, heading into the heart of the fight, in the Ardennes Forest in Belgium, where he had a date with destiny and a German bullet.

Today is Paul Gauguin's birthday!

He's my favorite French Impressionist artist. He walked away from a banking job in Paris to join Vincent Van Gogh in the south of France to paint. They hung out together until Paul left for Tahiti to paint naked island women. Smart move, Paul- Vinny ws nuts and he would never sell a single painting during his lifetime. Now days, Gauguin and Van Gogh are two of the most revered names in art. Read The Moon and Sixpence by Somerset Maughn, a novel inspired by his life.



Paul was an impressionist and loved bright colors. I love his art. Check out his style:


I get the Gauguin Syndrome every year around this time. I get island fever really bad.



I want to remind everyone that the auction is on at KFOX.Com for the private acoustic concert at your house. I'll show up with a selection of acoustic guitars and a handful of songs.

Make a bid today!

No comments:

Post a Comment